Saturday 15 January 2011

Barn Dance tonight in Aid of Rainforest Fund and Churches Together in Settle

Tonight we are holding a barn dance in joint aid of the Rainforest Fund and Churches Together in Settle.
The caller will be Annie Park from Kendal. She is nobly teaching our Scottish Country Dancing class whilst Robert Rushton our usual teacher is away. She came this Thursday and is great .. and will keep us in order!

We have been selling tickets and have sold just over 50 but don't know whether we'll get 50 people or 80.
Elizabeth says that they are catering for 81 - 81 baked potatoes - because that number is divisible by 3:  and there are three cooks - one cooking chili mince, one cooking ordinary mince and one cooking vegetarian chile. I am going to bring some haggis as the dance will have a Scottish flavour, and it is only ten days away from Burns' Night. .

We can also have the Selkirk grace:

Some hae meat and canna eat,
and some wad eat that want it,
but we hae meat and we can eat,
and sae the Lord be thankit.



which apparently was actually in use long before Burns time.

I wonder if I will have chance to play my tape from Ian Walker's record:

Chorus:
Some hae meat and cannae eat
Some would eat that want it
But we hae meat and we can eat
Sae let the Lord be thankit

From my armchair window on this world
Before my eyes appearing
Foods for breakfasts, dinners, teas
For in between meals feeding

From my armchair window on this world
I see butter mountains rising
And fish thrown back into the sea
And leaders compromising

And then I see one bowl of rice
A child's eye staring at me
With feeble bones life never owned
Reaching out to touch me

Just down the road a million miles
Our children they are crying
Too weak to eat they've got no meat
They spend their living dying

(as sung by Ian Walker)


No comments: