Thursday 20 March 2014

Flowering Times - First Day of Spring

Today is the Spring Equinox - 20 March 2014 16.57GMT
We have had a warm "late winter".
 Rain and strong winds were forecast for later today - So I went out on a morning walk.
I challenged a friend on the internet to look for wild flowers in flower. - So I made a record of what I saw.

And found 12 Wild plants in flower:
Butterbur (Petasites hybridus) (just)
Goat willow (Salix caprea)
Early Scurvy-grass (Cochlearia danica) (Only 1 plant in flower)  (Stainforth)
Wavy Bittercress (Cardamine flexuosa)
Dog's Mercury (Mercurialis perennis)
Wych Elm (Ulmus glabra)
Town Hall Clock (Adoxa moschatellina)
Primrose (Primula vulgaris) (just)
Opposite-leaved Golden-Saxifrage (Chrysosplenium oppostifolium)
Hazel (Corylus avellana)
Ivy-leaved Speedwell (Veronica hederifolia) (just)
Annual Meadow-grass (Poa annua)

I saw a Grey-squirrel and a Dipper.
And Great Tit and Chaffinch.
And a run-over hen on the road footpath

I saw some not-open Sloe and not-open Rue-leaved Saxifrage.
and a few bottles and cans in the verge.
There was a Prunus type tree in flower in someone's garden.

And found an interesting lichen (to be identified) at Stackhouse.) and No Syntrichia on trees near the river at Stainforth.


----------------------

in other places I have seen Groundsel and Spring Whitlow-grass

No comments: